Friday, March 4, 2011

Senate Inaugural Hearing on Charter Change (Cha-Cha)

First thing I do when I wake up in the morning is to grab my iPad and check on my twitter and facebook accounts. Last February 15, when I was browsing tweet feeds I stumbled upon Sen. Miriam Santiago's tweets:

"These constitutional law experts will lecture on charter change this Thursday at the Senate:  "

"Six constitutional law experts will deliver lectures on charter change. You are all invited to attend the hearing."

I am an advocate of efforts to amend/revise the constitution, although I was against the changing of the constitution during GMA's administration because obviously if that happened there would have been a diversion of purpose from promotion of people's welfare to advancement of personal interests. If there are plans to change the fundamental law, I believe it is best to do it during Pnoy's administration. 

So, when I chanced upon this news as tweeted by Senator Santiago, I did not have second thoughts of personally attending and witnessing history in the making. I tagged my brother, Jr, to come with me and though the hearing was a bit boring, we both learned few valuable information from the speeches delivered by some of the country's great minds.

In attendance were:
Senator Miriam Santiago
Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile
Senator Gringo Honasan
Senator Antonio Trillianes III
Senator Franklin Drilon
Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
Senator Pia Cayetano
Chief Justice Reynato Puno,
Justice Florentino Feliciano
Justice Vicente Mendoza
Justice Adolfo Azcuna
UP President Jose Abueva
UP Law Dean Merlin Magallona


Pictures taken with an iPhone 3G

Pamphlet given away before the start of the hearing

Program and list of speakers

From left to right: Honasan, Cayetano, Magallona, Abueva,
Azcuna, Mendoza, Santiago, Feliciano, Puna, Marcos, Trillianes
Former Chief Justice Reyanto Puno

Committee Chair Sen. Miriam Santiago

Sen. Bongbong Marcos
Sen. Antonio Trillianes III

No comments:

Post a Comment